Retention & Destruction
In light of the scandals surrounding Enron and Arthur Anderson and the myriad rules under federal and state laws, including the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002, the development and implementation of a records management program has become a factor in day-to-day business operations.
Some of the questions to be asked and answered are:
- What do I have to retain and for how long?
- Are there special rules for computer generated or stored records and communications?
- What happens if there is litigation?
- Can I simply destroy my record files periodically?
- Is it a good idea to have a records management program?